• A modern five-story dormitory spanning 5,100 square meters has been meticulously designed to accommodate 220 students. Beyond its fully furnished 104 bedrooms, this dormitory boasts an array of contemporary amenities. These include several spacious living guest rooms, a well-appointed reading hall with library and separate meeting room with necessary electronic facilities, a welcoming dining room, kitchens in each floor, a convenient laundry and ironing
facility, a tranquil relaxation area, an equipped medical aid room, wash machine and drying room and, small shop, a designated sports equipment area, so on. The dormitory's mansard roof has been specially designed to provide an ideal space for students to enjoy their free time and engage in various leisure activities. There are several alcoves and benches in the territory surrounded by fruit and other different types of trees.
• Located just 300 meters away from the University, 2 modern state-of-the-art residential complexes consisting of 4 buildings each with 16 floors have been inaugurated. These modern complexes are fully equipped with all the essential amenities tailored for the faculty members of Baku State University. The complexes, known as "Kainat” (“Universe”) providing housing for 300 families, and "Baku University," capable of accommodating 360 families, represent a
substantial and noteworthy enhancement to the University's infrastructure. As University faculty members live in the same area and are neighbours, spending time together, celebrating birthdays, attending weddings and so on, it affects positively forming staff and social atmosphere.
• University faculty staff live in another 2 buildings located in different places of Baku, not far from University campus.
Furthermore, the completion of a five-story Educational-practical and recreational center in Guba region of Azerbaijan (distance - about 165 km from Baku), capable of serving about 400 individuals (separate rooms with own showers and toilets), has laid a solid foundation for fostering the scientific-practical creativity of both teachers and students and for their recreation and relax, especially during summer period. Additionally, a portion of the faculty and staff families have chosen to reside on campus. This Center has furnished rooms, a large canteen
with all facilities, sportive areas, stadiums, big modern conference room, some educational rooms, hundreds of fruit trees in the large territory - harvest is usually delivered to University staff, river and forest nearby. University provides its own buses and rented vehicles for students and staff to travel to the Center.
• In the Baku State University, discrimination based on sex, nationality and religion is prohibited in accommodation settings.
The University's advantageous proximity to the “Elmler Akademiyasi” (“Academy of Sciences”) metro station, combined with the nearby location of the Student Town, plenty of shops, markets and restaurants, and green parks around campus presents an exceptional level of convenience for both students and faculty members. This strategic positioning not only streamlines daily commutes but also cultivates a dynamic and closely-knit campus community. It ensures that educational resources and extracurricular activities are effortlessly within reach
for all, enriching the overall university experience. The availability of parking for car owners, a gazebo, various fruit trees, and a lawn in the vicinity of the dormitory and campus is appealing to University staff and students.
The application process for the dormitory is as follows:
o Interested students and employees must begin by completing and submitting the official dormitory application form. This form can typically be obtained from the housing office or through an online portal. The application process for the dormitory offers various methods, including:
o Sending an e-mail to: email@example.com
o Utilizing the electronic “Student-to-Rector” Portal through University web site
o Submitting a Written Application by Students through Sector of work with citizens' appeals under HR and Juridical Department
• Once the application is received, the Commission for Social Affairs of Baku State University will review it to ensure that the applicant meets all the necessary eligibility criteria, which may include academic enrolment status, payment of housing fees, and any specific requirements set by the Baku State University.
Room allocation is typically based on various factors, including availability, priority groups (such as students and employees of martyrs, veterans, orphans, and international students or those with specific needs).
• Students and employees who receive an assignment for a dormitory room must typically submit payment for housing fees within a specified period to secure their spot in the dormitory. However, it's important to note that Baku State University has policies in place to provide exceptions or financial assistance to students and employees from socially vulnerable groups. These policies are often designed to ensure that housing remains accessible to a diverse range of people, regardless of their financial circumstances. According to the decision made by the University Scientific Council in 2019, the University covers some part of the fee (about 35%)
and therefore fee level stays unchanged from 2019.
• Along with the application form, you may be required to submit certain documents, such as proof of enrolment, identification, and any other documents specified by the University.
• Prior to moving in, the University may provide an orientation session for new residents. This can include information about dormitory rules, facilities, and any other important guidelines.
• On the designated move-in date, you can collect your dormitory keys and settle into your new living space.
• It's essential to closely follow the University's instructions throughout the application process to ensure a smooth transition into the dormitory. Additionally, there are no restrictions on time to ask any questions or seek clarification from the University's housing office if needed.
• Dormitory area is guarded by the special team based on a procurement contract for 24/7.
• To facilitate the construction of modern dormitories for about 3500 individuals with all facilities at 2025-2027 years through a Public-Private Partnership (PPP) model, preliminary feasibility studies have been developed as part of the technical assistance project supported by the Asian Development Bank with participation of KPMG-Azerbaijan. Currently, efforts are underway to prepare the necessary documentation for submission to the Ministry of Economy, which is a crucial step in organizing the competition for this project's execution.
Monitoring of emergency situations, such as natural disasters, fires, and other emergencies, is crucial for the safety and well-being of students and staff within the campus buildings, as well as the dormitories of Baku State University. Management of the University typically plays a vital role in overseeing and coordinating emergency response efforts. The Baku State University, the Ministry of Education and Science (MES) and Ministry of Emergency Situations have implemented an emergency notification system. This system sends alerts via various communication channels, particularly via loudspeakers in each room to inform residents about any impending or ongoing emergencies. This could include severe weather alerts, fire alarms, or evacuation orders. Surveillance cameras, smoke detectors, fire alarms, and other monitoring equipment were installed throughout the dormitories. These devices detect and alert authorities to potential emergency situations.
The University has well-defined emergency evacuation plans in places which are in special places on walls. These plans include escape routes, assembly points, and procedures for safely evacuating residents during various emergencies. Regular drills and training sessions have been conducted by the Civil Defense Headquarters of Baku State University to ensure everyone knows what to do in case of an emergency. Campus and dormitory security personnel and Civil
Defense Headquarters teams are trained to handle several types of emergencies. The University administration collaborates closely with local authorities, including the MES, to stay updated on potential threats and receive guidance on responding to emergencies. Clear communication protocols have been established between the university, the MES, and other relevant agencies. This ensures that information flows smoothly during an emergency, allowing for a coordinated response. Adequate emergency supplies, such as first aid kits, fire extinguishers, and emergency lighting, should be available throughout the dormitories. Designated emergency shelters or safe areas have also been established. The Department of Safety Precautions of Baku State University conducts awareness campaigns and training sessions for residents to educate them on how to respond to several types of emergencies. This includes information on staying safe during earthquakes, fires, floods, etc. Staff of Department of Safety Precautions and Civil Defense Headquarters are usually professionals and pass yearly training.
MISSION OF THE POLICY
The primary aim of this policy is to offer secure, reasonably priced, and all-encompassing lodging options to the students enrolled at Baku State University (BSU). This policy seeks to establish a living environment that promotes both personal and academic development while adhering to sustainability principles, such as good health and well-being, quality education, planned facilities with green building standards and water conservation measures.
For more details see Accommodation policy of Baku State University